Saturday, January 9, 2010

William's First Sleep Over

When I was a kid, often when I asked my mother if I could have my friends over for a slumber party (which was fairly often, as I recall!!) the answer would be "Not tonight - I am too tired". That answer would frustrate the heck out of me - what did the fact that my mother was tired have to do with my friends sleeping over? She didn't have to stay up late with us after all. After last night, I sooooo get it!!! My sincere apologies, Mom, and thanks for all of the sleep-overs that you did tolerate.

Over the past 2 years, we have been scaling back William's birthday parties from the "invite-everyone-that-you-know-who-has-a-child-the-same-age " sort of thing that you get into with your first child, to more reasonable celebrations. Now we have a family-focused party, full of cousins, aunts, uncles and grandparents. The boys can then also pick 1-2 close friends to do something really special with.

This year, William really, really wanted to have a sleep-over. Sigh. So on Friday, Ben, Maddie, and Iain can over. As well as being a few of William's best friends, they are also neighbors, which made for easy trips home in the middle of the night, should they be required.

As it turned out, only Iain ended up actually spending the night - Maddie headed home at 9:30 after a Nerf Dart to the eye incident, and Ben lasted to a very respectable 11:30pm. By Midnight, when the rest of the boys went to bed, they had no problem falling asleep!!!!

Well, as you can see, I didn't manage to get a single photo of the event. In fact, under the circumstances, I didn't even try to get it out. But, just for a few laughs, I though that I would share a few of the things that I overheard while the kids were enjoying themselves...

*Welcome to the party, Old Man Jenkins!

*You dance like a chihuahua (I honestly don't know where the chihuahua thing comes from).

*Iain is getting married to my Mommy! We would be really old people by then.

*He put the cold fishy down my back!

*I shot Mommy in the bum!!!!!

*Say my Daddy's initials: P.P. (followed by peels 7 year-old of laughter)

and of course, More popcorn, please!

1 comment: