Saturday, January 2, 2010

Fruit and Nut Granola

In an effort to get the year off to a healthy start, I went looking for a recipe for home made granola. There are a ton of recipes out there, so I did a little bit of picking and choosing what appealed to me. The final result was sweet, crunchy and very fruity.

Fruit and Nut Granola


In a large bowl, mix together:
6 cups rolled oats
3/4 cup wheat germ
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
1 cup slivered almonds
1 cup chopped pecans
1 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 cup shredded coconut


In a medium sauce pan over low - medium heat, combine:
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup maple syrup
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup vegitable oil
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla

Cook until sugar is melted and the ingredients are well combined.

Pour sugar mixture over dry ingredients and stir until well combined.

Spread onto a large cookie sheet or shallow baking dish and bake at 300 degrees for approx. 40 minutes, stiring every 5-10 minutes, until the mixture is dry.

Remove from the oven and cool completely. Then stir in 2 cups of dried fruit:
raisins
dried cranberries
chopped apricots
I think that dried apples would be wonderful, but I didn't have any on hand.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. You’re granola sounds very good. I just found out that one of the twins likes a particular yogurt with granola. (Thanks to a weekend stay at a friends house where he ate it as a snack along with fruit) Insead of buying it I just may try making my own.

    ReplyDelete