Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Super Hero Camp!!!

This week, the boys are at day camp. Yup, camp. A friend up the street had been telling them about the super hero week at the camp in town, and well, I lost the battle. In fact, I had been thinking about having them try out day camp this year, but somehow never got around to planning it, so this was perfect. Close to home, a small group with lots of staff, reasonable price, friends that the boys know already going, and, of course, a whole week about Super Heroes!!!! (The real ones like fire fighters and paramedics, as well as the perennial favourites like Spiderman and Batman)

So yesterday, when Dad went to drop them off, I was a little sad, and a little excited. A whole day without kids - whatever shall I do? Well, I tidied up (I know, I know - what a silly thing to do when the kids are away!!). Then, I actually read a book. I watched a movie. I started to cut up fabric for a rag rug I have been planning since last summer. I ate a bowl of ice cream at 10 o'clock in the morning. It was a lovely day, and it was even that much sweeter snuggling up with William and Charlie last night for not having seen them during the day. But today, I missed them a little more. They were really tired when they came home, and wanted to head right up the street to play with friends before dinner rather than visit with Mommy. And tomorrow, they go back again. And the next day. And the next.

I myself have to be out of town later this week, so it will be good for them to have something fun to do during the day while Daddy is busy. But it all got me to thinking about school. Quelle surprise?!?! Our society has a really warped way of making you think that it is somehow something to be embarrassed about, but you know what? I actually like my kids. I certainly love them too, as I think all parents do, but I like them, too. I enjoy their company. I like to talk to them, to explore with them, to learn along side of them, and to just be with them. I miss them when they are gone. Now, that is not to say that they don't drive me crazy at times, that I don't yell at them all too frequently or believe that sometimes they intentionally chose to irritate the hell out of me. But really, those times are a very small part of our time together. What it all comes down to is that I miss them when they are gone. That, for our family, is reason enough to homeschool.

No comments:

Post a Comment