Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Rhubarb Cake



I love rhubarb. I love that it is the first harvest from our garden every spring. I love watching the boys run around with 'elephant ears' made out of rhubarb leaves held up to their heads. I love how it grows so well without any help from me. I love that this plant was a gift from my mother-in-law Jean, and has been growing here since we bought our home 11 years ago. I love that it is from a plant that grew in her yard for many, many years before that.

And, I love rhubarb cake.

This recipe is nothing fancy, and the final product is not what you would call 'pretty'. But is it very moist, just the right combination of sweet-tart, and a wonderful way to enjoy the rhubarb bounty!!

Rhubarb Cake

1 1/2 cup thinly sliced rhubarb
1 c brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1 egg
1/2 cup butter
1 1/2 - 2 tsp cinnamon
1 cup apple sauce
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp bakign soda
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups flour

Cream together butter and sugars. Beat in egg, salt, vanilla, soda, cinnamon, and applesauce, and flour. Stir in rhubarb. Spread into a greased 9 x 13 inch pan (batter will be thick) and sprinkle the top with cinnamon sugar. Bake at 375 for 30 - 35 minutes. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment