Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Classic Shortbread

For a while now, the boys and I have been getting into the Christmas spirit. The decorations are mostly up (although it is still too early for the tree), our crafting and gifting is on schedule, and now the best part -the holiday baking!! I really don't have much of a taste for store-bought goodies. I can sit with a bag of Oreos in the house indefinitely and not touch a one, but when it comes to home made treats, I cannot resist.

These lovelies are a traditional, and very simple, shortbread recipe that I bake in a stone mold. They are divine!! If you don`t happen to have a mold, they bake up wonderfully in an 8 inch cake or spring form pan.


Classic Shortbread
Cream 0.5 cup of butter until light and fluffy. Cream in 0.33 cup powdered sugar and 0.25 tsp vanilla (sorry about the decimals - my keyboard has turned french on me tonight!!). Knead in 1 cup of flour on an un-floured surface until smooth. Press into a lightly greased mold (or into a 8 inch round cake pan would also work nicely) and bake at 325 degrees for 30 - 35 minutes until lightly golden brown. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes, and then turn out onto a wooden cutting board. Cut into wedges while still warm, and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.


Happy Holiday Baking!!

No comments:

Post a Comment