Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Cousins




Yesterday was a perfect day at the park - a chance for cousins to reconnect, and for Mommas to sit on our butts and relax. The sun was shining, the sky was blue, and the children all got along (it has been hit or miss lately). Lots of laughter, nibbles, smiles, and (almost) no tears. My sister and I both lament that we do not live closer together, but on days like this it doesn't seem to matter - it was wonderful to be together. It amazes me how much our relationship means to me now, considering that we were not exactly fond of each other when we were growing up. We have learned that she and I can be best friends, as long as we don't try to live together (sound familiar to anyone else out there?). As for our kids, it thrills me how well they are getting along. I dream about them being friends, and staying close as they get older. I fantasize about them looking forward to spending time together, and even to all of the trouble that they will conspire to hide from my sister and I. Cousins offer that wonderful intermediate relationship - not as close as a sibling that you have to spend every day with, but close enough that you can count on them for company at the annual family reunion. Who could ask for anything more?

No comments:

Post a Comment