Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Home Day!!!!!!!


I have been feeling a bit over-worked lately, with too much time out of the house.  Even when I am home, I seem to be stuck on hyper speed trying to get caught up on everything that needs to be done around here, cramming in some work stuff whenever I can, and trying desperately to get some lessons into the mix.  It feels like a long time since we have had a real, relaxing, exactly as I like it, home-day.

Not that it should really take a huge storm to get me back on track, but every once in a while I need a bit of a kick in the pants to get my priorities back in line.  Today, as the wind howled outside and the rain flew at the windows, the boys and I had one of the best days we have had in a long time.  (Jim, poor fellow, slept in the morning and then went off to work.  I am not ignoring him, I swear!!).

We began the day with a lovely sleep in - always a good start.  After breakfast, William went for a walk around the neighbourhood to check out any damage from the storm last night.  We spent a good part of the morning by the front window, watching as a work crew took down a huge old tree that had upended in the storm and reducing it to firewood in less than 2 hours.  We had a relaxed lunch, and then did some math and geography lessons.  Halloween cookie baking was next on the list, a quick trip out the grocery store in town for a some essentials, and then downstairs to read by the fire for a few hours.  William made a great dinner of chicken noodle soup and biscuits for all of us, then we were back downstairs by the fire for a board game.  We even made it into bed in time for lots of stories (with all of us taking turns reading), and lights out in enough time that I am sitting here blogging instead of crashed in my own bed.

I LOVE days like this!!

I think that I should find a way to flag this post for days to come, when my 'real life' hits me full in the face and I feel overworked, rushed, and overwhelmed.  There has got to be a way to make this wonderful day less of an oddity and more of our family 'normal'.

No comments:

Post a Comment