Sunday, August 5, 2012

What we're reading these days

I noticed that it has been quite a while since I posted about what we are reading these days, so here is a quick look at what is on our bedside tables:

William: 
A Series of Unfortunate Events: The Reptile Room by: Lemony Snicket.  This is the first series that William has really gotten into on his own (and the first books, for that matter) where he has not gotten bored part way through.  He picked up the entire series at a garage sale this summer and is determined to read each and every one.

Charlie:
Are You My Mother? by: P.D. Eastman

Put Me In The Zoo by: Robert Lopshire.  Both of these are older books (first published in the 1960s) that I remember reading as a little girl.  They are certainly classics though, and a far cry better than the 'early readers' that are published these days.  They have a story that Charlie loves, but are written in simple language with lots of sight words, rather than complex language but with only a sentence or two on each page.

Read Alouds:
Silverwing by: Kenneth Oppel.  This is one that I picked up recently when I needed a'guaranteed' good story after finishing the Mysterious Benedict Society Books.  It has won about a million prizes, and has make bats Williams new favorite animal (after dogs, of course!)

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by: J.K. Rowling.  Not that this book needs any extra  advertisement  but we are on our second round through reading the whole series...

Joanna:
The Night Circus by: Erin Morgenstern is a beautifully written drama / mystery / romance that I am thoroughly enjoying.  I know it sounds corny, but I love a book that calls on me to read it with a pencil in hand to underline the parts that I most enjoy...But still, the discontent remains.  Even the ground beneath feels unsatisfying to his boots. ( Don't laugh !!)

How To Talk So Kids Will Listen, and Listen So Kids Will Talk by: Adele Faber and Elaine Mazlish because I really need to read this book as often as I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment