Friday, June 3, 2011

Green Legacy

One of the things that I enjoy most about homeschooling is being able to volunteer with the boys. It is something that has always felt important to me, but the ways I have been involved in the past took a bit of a nose dive as I had kids and found myself with so little free time. Now William and Charlie are old enough to enjoy working with me, and to be able to make a real contribution.

Today we joined a great group of friends at Green Legacy, a local greenhouse who has taken on the important job of reforesting our county. They plant many different kinds of native trees from seed, and rely extensively on volunteers to get all of the work done.


The kids (and parents) all enjoyed seeing this little vacuum machine that drops tiny white spruce seeds into the flats.

They learned all about different types of tree seeds..

Pushed seedlings out of their small cells...

And transplanted them into bigger cells.

Most of all, they got dirty. That's the best part, right?

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The next best time is now.
~proverb

No comments:

Post a Comment