Friday, April 22, 2011

Having Faith

Ever since we began homeschooling 'officially', I have struggled every so often to do battle with the type A, controlling and rather up tight aspects of my personality. Especially when it comes to reading and writing. I guess that those things that feel most important to me are the same areas where I most want my boys to feel comfortable. Makes sense, right?

These past few months I have had to fairly consciously shut up that little voice inside my head when it comes to Williams reading. Our focus has been mostly on reading itself - cultivating a love of books, more than the act of reading. Will has been coming along well, knows how to read, and is comfortable picking up an early leveled reader and having a go at it. He has been making progress, but I was still, well, you know.

So I read up on un-schooling. I tried to reaffirm my faith that he will get it when the time is right, in spite of me, not because of me. I journalled about my worries so that I could get it off my chest on paper, and not lay it on William. I took long deep breaths,and focused on long term goals - like keeping him in love with stories.

And then, the other day, as calmly as anything, he reports that he is tired of the 'learning to read' books. He pulls Witches, by Roald Dahl off the shelf, and digs in.

So that is what Will is reading now. Not at a great clip yet, but happily, joyfully, consistently, and without the tiniest hint of frustration. And with no pushing from me.

No comments:

Post a Comment